Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Strangers Come To Rescue!

How often have you experienced that when the whole world is against you (or so you feel), there is someone who comes out of nowhere and soothes you?

I don't know about you, but I have had such occurrences quite often. There are times when I am so low that I feel very let down with myself and don't know where to go. And at such very times, there comes an angel to my rescue, who tells me its not all over. And this person has usually never been one of those from whom I would ever seek help or for that matter someone with whom I am always in touch with. Hence I wish to call it "Strangers come to Rescue!"

It was a perfectly normal day in college. As always lectures were taking my toll and I was just waiting to sit down and have a good coffee. Then it was told that a lecture has been called off, much to my happiness. I rushed to grab a coffee and then decided to work on some pending projects that I had left behind long ago.

I set up a few appointments with a few people for the same evening and the next few days for this very project and was amazed that all of these calls were successful. It was almost time to leave college when I met someone in college who came up to me and told me a lot of things about how my career may not be so good after all. The markets are bad and I am not experienced with business (being a medical professional) and somehow my so-called individualistic nature (again his perception) may pose hurdles for me.

Though this did not usually matter to me, as I have become immune to such weird comments and especially negative ones, thanks to a few so called close friends (those who know me well,would know who I am referring to). However on this day, it put me to think. All the way back home, I was trying to tell myself that probably I am not so good after all. All those people who keep saying amazing things about me are just doing so because they wish good for me.

A few people who know me and who maybe reading this might wonder....how is it that this girl can also think all such things? This is because there are very few instances that I would feel low on confidence. And seldom do other people's comments affect me as much unless the person is too significant (teachers or seniors). But I kept thinking, almost had tears in my eyes.

And then, out of nowhere, I had a conversation with a friend, almost like after ages. I just happened to meet him online. It was general at first, but I guess somehow this conversation was destined to happen. While talking, I mentioned about what I had been through during the day....and how very upset I was. And this person simply told me...."You don't have to change yourself coz anyone says so....you are good the way you are...and if at all you think there is a need to adapt and change someday, i am sure you will be successful at that too" Maybe someone might say that I am feeling pleased with my ego being massaged and that is why praising the friend so much. But for those who really understand the importance of such a conversation and the pleasure obtained would surely be able to gauge what I felt at that point in time.

It was not that because someone is saying good things about me, I should feel happy. But the fact is that, this boosting of confidence helps you to look at the problem in a more practical way than with the sulking vision you did before. In a state of mind when you are low and thinking negative, there is no chance that you see positivity easily. You would continue to be cynical and feel like the world has ended....however when you get back to the positive frame of mind, you can analyse better why some said something to you and how you could possibly work on it better.

And more often than not, it is a person who I call a ...STRANGER....who helps you get to this frame of mind. So I am thankful to all these Strangers in my life who have brought me back to life time and again......you are my angels!!!

2 comments:

  1. I do agree with you Ramya,even i have experienced this...I also firmly believe that Strangers do come for your Rescue at rigt Time:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ramya,
    Sahi Hai.. U also started blogging?!
    "Ex-Close" Friends?!
    I guess it's with reference to GDC?
    & if am write... then was tht "ex" referred to closeness or to friends?
    Well I feel those people are all in their respective settling phase....
    (still the role of apathy to keep in touch does exist to some extent)
    Eachone of them is lonesome in his own world & albeit that is the case, those people still have same feelings & good wishes.
    I hope & wish that we all pass this phase successfully to atleast stay in touch regularly.

    P.S. That's my perspective of looking at this natural/ self created distances between F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

    Best Regards,
    Amrut

    ReplyDelete